Breast Milk is the superlative boost for a child’s overall growth raising immunity levels and bolstering IQ levels. Though breastfeeding is an innate process, numerous glitches do crop up that may adversely hinder the process.
Tips To Ensure Favourable Infant Breastfeeding
- Many women experience sore, cracked nipples, inflammation, tenderness, surfacing of darkish red patches or balls on the breasts. Acute infections of the milk duct occurs leading to pus-filled lumps during Mastitis.
- The primeval healing method of Ayurveda advocates both the consumption and topical application of crushed garlic to cure red blotches on the breasts. Garlic accelerates the healing process by extracting puss and rooting out the germs. Topical application of powdered turmeric paste with water, bitter gourd and onion extract both external application and consumption assisted in quick recovery from puss formations.
- Engorgement of the breasts wherein there is a feeling of extreme fullness and pain along with a swollen areola can be effectively treated with rinsed, chilled cabbage leaves application. Prior to use an incision needs to be made in the leaf for the nipple, followed by crushing the veins of the leaf to open them and applying one to two leaves directly to the breast inside the bra. The leaves need to be replaced within a period of one to two hours as they wilt, following the procedure for close to six times with entire usage period of eight hours till the problem settles. However, prolonged application is undesirable as it decreases milk supply.
- The local application of steamed Confrey leaves, margosa, betel leaves along with few drops of castor oil aids in relieving pain. Elder, Chamomile and Poke roots help subside swelling and control inflammation. Queen’s delight decongests the lymphatic vessels and provides stimulus to the white blood cells to fight the infection.
- Milk cream or bread pieces soaked in milk when locally applied accelerates the discharge of unhealthy puss formation.
- Cracked or sore nipples react favourably to olive oil, lanolin and clarified butter and honey applications. Cleansing them daily with water or baby lotion avoiding soap as it will only aggravate the sore or cracked nipple. Use of hair dryer, hot compresses soon after nursing helps avert and decrease discomfort and ease pain. Exposure to sun, air aids in healing cracks or blister formations and avert yeast infections that flourish in moist, damp areas that ultimately gets transferred to the baby.
- One needs to be vigilant in regards to any nagging, undesirable symptoms that don’t seem to resolve and promptly seek professional help.