Age spots are colored marks found on the skin, especially on body parts mostly exposed to the sun. The marks may be grey, black or brown but will fade away upon application of various chemicals or the use of various natural remedies for this condition. They are caused by frequent exposure to the sun’s rays for elongated periods of time. Age spots are not painful or harmful but they distort the overall look of a person. They are mostly found on the face, shoulders, forehead, neck and any other body parts exposed to the sun.
The condition typically affects people from the age of 40 years and older. They can easily be contained by using simple home remedies for effectively eliminating them. They also disappear when the body parts are no longer exposed to the direct sunlight. Many people confuse age spots with other skin diseases but the main difference is that age spots are painless and are normally non-inflammatory.
Studies have shown that age spots are caused by increased production of melanin cells that are known to help in skin pigmentation and also guard skin against ultraviolet rays from the sun.
The melanin cells are produced in excess and gather in various parts of the skin. The areas they assemble change color to black, grey or brown. It is also thought that this condition may be caused by age.
It is believed that elderly people have a higher production of melanin due to the fact that they have a general reduction of antioxidants. Other factors such as genetics have been known to cause the age spots. Various methods have been introduced to curb this condition such as bleaching using various lotions or creams. However the natural remedies are known to better treat these conditions as they have no major side effects.
Home Remedies To Get Rid of Age Spots
1. Lemon Juice as a Natural Remedy for Age Spots
The juice of a ripe lemon contains citric acid which has some bleaching properties. It is also known to stiffen the look of the age spot, making it disappear. Lemon juice is one of the most commonly used and easily available home remedies for age spots. Researchers and medics have also approved the use of the lemon to treat this condition.
Use of Lemon Juice as a Home Treatment for Age Spots:
- Peel the lemon fruit and cut it into two pieces.
- Then squeeze the lemon juice into a clean cotton cloth or wool before applying the juice onto the age spots.
- This should be left on the skin for a while before rinsing with water.
- The juice should be applied two to three times a day. This treatment takes a period of about six weeks to show some positive results.
2. Castor Oil as a Natural Remedy for Age Spots
Castor oil is known to improve the texture of the skin. Due to this property, the oil is used to make the skin smooth as well as help clear the age spot. Frequent use of the oil has known to eradicate this condition. It is important to note that castor oil does not contain a bleaching property but works by making the skin look smooth. After considerable use of the oil, the age spots disappear completely.
Use of Castor Oil as a Cure for Age Spots:
- Castor oil is applied to a dry cotton material which is then used to apply the castor oil to the marks.
- One can choose to massage the spot with the oil at least once a day.
- The recommended time to apply the castor oil on the age spot is before retiring to bed for the night.
- Positive results are seen after using for a period of three to four months.
3. Milk Products as a Home Remedy for Age Spots
Milk contains some of the most important ingredients found in the skin. It is also known to contain properties helpful in creation of skin cells. Milk products are also known to improve the skin texture and other important aspects such as skin renewal and restoration.
Milk is on the recommended diet for this condition as its helps in skin growth. Among the important milk products that are helpful to the skin are butter and yogurt. Milk products are also known to contain lactic acid which is known to act as an antioxidant.
Use of Milk Products as a Treatment for Age Spots:
- These products are taken orally as the ingredients are absorbed in the body during digestion.
- These products should be consumed frequently in their raw form.
- People with this condition should try to take the milk products without mixing them with anything that can dilute its effectiveness.
- When having a meal it should contain at least one milk product as it is part of the recommended diet for this condition.
- Products such as yogurt can also be applied on the age spot directly.
4. Onion as a Natural Remedy for Age Spots
Onion is known to contain properties that help in bleaching the skin. During this process, the age spots disappear from the skin. Onion is among the natural remedies for this condition recommended by medical practitioners. Onion has been in use for a long time to treat skin ailments and conditions. Onion can also be used with other compounds such as vinegar for effective results. When making a meal, onion should be included as part of a diet for this condition.
Use of Onion as a Cure for Age Spots:
- The onion is peeled and chopped into small pieces.
- A blender is used to extract juice from the onion.
- The juice is then applied directly to the age spot with the use of clean cotton wool.
- The onion juice can also be added to other components such as vinegar.
- This juice should be applied on daily basis for duration of five or six months before results can be achieved.
- Onion can also be cooked together with the other foods but it should not be allowed to overcook so that it retains its healing properties.
5. Aloe Vera as a Home Remedy for Age Spots
This herb is among the most useful and most recommended home remedies for age spots. It is known to contain some properties that help to soothe the skin. Most people suffering from this condition find this herb very helpful as it peels of the skin of the age spots. The gel from the herb is also known to aid in replenishing and moisturizing the skin after one has attained sun burns. This herb is also known to aid in treating other ailments related with the skin.
Use of Aloe Vera as a Treatment for Age Spots:
- The leaf of the herb should be washed thoroughly.
- It is then cut and the juice extracted from the leaf before smearing or rubbing the juice onto the age spot.
- The juice should be left on the affected skin for 30 minutes to ensure it soaks well into the skin.
- Then it can be wiped off using cotton soaked in warm water.
- This process should be done at least twice a day for a period of one month before results are obtained.
- Aloe vera is one of the most effective natural remedies for this condition.
6. Dandelion as a Natural Remedy for Age Spots
The sap of this herb is known to contain properties that help the skin to glow. The herb is also known to contain some properties that help to lighten age spots as well as acting as antioxidants. The important part of the herb is the stem since most of the sap is found there. This plant has been in use since 17th century by the Chinese.
Use of Dandelion as a Treatment for Age Spots:
- The sap of the herb is extracted from the stem and applied to the skin affected by the age spots.
- The sap can also be used as a tea to treat this condition internally.
- The sap is recommended for use at least three times a day for effective results.
- There is no limit to the use this herb as one is allowed to use it until all the age spots disappear.
7. Horseradish as a Home Remedy for Age Spots
This herb is among the least known natural remedies for age spots yet has proven to be very effective. The herb is known to contain some properties that help to sooth the skin and fade the age spots. The herb is also known to contain some bleaching properties which are very important in treating age spots. However the horseradish can be used together with other home remedies for this condition to achieve greater results.
Use of Horseradish as a Cure for Age Spots:
- The herb is ground up and mixed with vinegar and allowed to stay tightly closed for 14 days.
- During this duration, the concoction should be shaken at least twice a day.
- When the two weeks are over, the mixture should be stored at a very low temperature.
- It is recommended that the herb be applied on the spots three times a day. The results are seen after four to six months of use.
8.Garlic as a Natural Remedy for Age Spots
The plant is known to contain some of the properties that help in the pigmentation of the skin. It is also known to help in skin growth and removal of dead cells. Garlic is one of the cheapest and most frequently used natural remedies for this condition. This plant is also used as part of a diet for this condition in daily meals. Research has shown that frequent use of this plant can result in very smooth skin.
Use of Garlic as a Cure for Age Spots:
- Raw garlic should be washed and cut into small pieces.
- The chopped pieces are then squeezed against the age spot.
- One can also choose to massage the affected skin with the garlic.
- The sap of the garlic can be extracted using a blender and the sap squeezed onto the skin using a soft cloth.
- Garlic can also be added to food to provide internal treatment for this condition.
Other Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Age Spots
- Mix vinegar and olive oil then apply the mixture onto the age spots. This should be left on the spots for at least half an hour before washing it off. The spots should be eliminated within a certain period of use. This is considered to be among the best natural remedies for this skin condition.
- Take a fresh cucumber and cut it into slices. The slices can then be placed on the spots and left on for a few minutes. Juice can also be extracted from the cucumber and applied onto the affected parts of the skin as treatment. The other useful way of using cucumber is to add it to meals as a natural remedy for this condition.
- Grate raw papaya and rub the gratings onto the spots. The rubbings should be left on the skin for a few minutes before being washed off. The treatment should be repeated on a daily basis until the desired results from the condition are achieved.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with orange juice and then apply the mixture onto the skin spots. For effective results, the application should be done daily for at least a month or so. Another good mixture is that of rosemary oil, lime juice, vinegar and radish juice. It is a popular home remedy for age spots.
- Mix sandalwood powder in rose water and then apply as a mask. The mask should be left on for several minutes before washing off using clean water. The procedure should be repeated until the desired results are achieved.
- Make a paste using chickpeas and then apply this paste onto the spots. The peas have proven to contain essential minerals which help in drying the spots and eventually fading them from the skin. Daily application is highly recommended for the best results. It is one of the best home remedies for this skin condition.
- Take a good amount of honey and mix well with yogurt. The mixture should then be applied directly onto the spots as a way of eliminating them. The mixture works as a natural bleach and has proven to be effective in dealing with the age spots.
- Apply natural vitamin E oil onto the spots. The oil can also be taken internally as a cure for the condition. This vitamin can be found in oils such as olive oil that is cold pressed. A little oil can also be added in food or on salads as part of a diet for this skin condition.
Healthy Diets To Follow Get Rid Of Age Spots
- A balanced diet is essential when dealing with age spots just as it is for most other diseases and infections. Emphasis should be given to foods which are rich in vitamin E and Vitamin C. They include foods such as peas, spinach, cabbage and other fresh fruits and vegetables. This is perhaps the best home remedy for this skin condition.
- Include pumpkins and carrots in your daily meals as part of a diet for this condition. Vegetables which are orange-colored have proven to be very effective in protecting the skin from sun damage and are therefore highly recommended. They also contain antioxidants essential in keeping the skin well nourished, thus preventing the spots.
- Increase intake of fresh raw fruits as well as vegetables in meals. At the same time ensure that you drink enough water on a daily basis as a way of keeping the skin well cleansed and well nourished.
- Avoid processed, oily and fried foods as they are known to worsen the condition. Things such as alcohol, caffeine, tobacco and sugary items should also be avoided.
- Eat foods rich in potassium which include fruits such as apricots, avocados, dates, kiwi fruits, melons and bananas, among others.
- To prevent these spots from appearing, avoid direct sunlight. A lotion containing sunscreen can be applied onto the skin when it will be exposed to the sun. Long sleeved clothing can also be very helpful in keeping this condition at bay.
Next Read:8 Signs You’re Not Drinking Enough Water