Television Watching is a kind of activity that is very addictive and has to be controlled if it is being watched by kids. There have been surveys that have been conducted which show that the children who watch television a lot get distracted to a great extent and show a lot of performance problems.
Television has a lot of impact on the children and the addiction to watching depends on many factors. It has to be seen how much television is watched and what their personality or age is and whether they can watch alone or whether they should watch with adults. Some programs should be monitored by parents so these programs have also contributed to the addiction to television watching.
Negative Effects of Television or Addiction to Television Watching
There are a lot of negative effects of television on the children and it is important to understand how the children get influenced by activities like television watching. There are many programs which showcase a lot of things that could be detrimental to them.
- For example violence is one thing that is shown on television that is sure to affect the children. There are many studies which show how violence affects children and how the youth are affected very badly. There is a cause and effect relation between children and television watching which is very difficult to find out and there is a growing feeling that children are affected by violence greatly.
- Children are seen to have increased fear by seeing the scary and mean television programs. Girls are especially affected greatly by the violence shown on television and there is lot of victimized violence that is seen to affect the children greatly.
- Children are desensitized a great deal when they see a lot of violence on screen and there are many children’s cartoons which are seen to affect the psyche of the kids. If violence and its consequences are shown properly then the children could be made to understand why they should not be seeing violence.
- Then there are also cases where the children show a lot of aggressive behavior after seeing the violence on screen so parents should ensure that their children do not get addicted to watching this kind of violence on scene. There is lot of fear that is based on the news and the other events which also show a lot of violence which seemingly affect the children. So one has to learn to learn to differentiate between the reality and fantasy.
- Television has seen to affect the performance and the learning and if the kids cannot get off it then it surely is an addiction that needs to be attended to and it should be ensured that most of the activities that are very mentally challenging and which provide a lot of brain testing should be introduced in the child’s life.
- Television viewing is a very lethargic activity and it has been proved that there is a lot of connection between television watching and childhood obesity. Most of the children in the world who are obese are found to have watched a lot of television. Children and adults normally find it difficult to get off the habit of watching television. There is a sense of relaxation that the viewers get when they watch television. But the viewers lose the sense of relaxation when they switch the television off.
- Television addiction also has contributed for the children finding a way of making their life easy and this is one habit that should be stopped. Today’s kids are exposed to many scenes which could be detrimental for them and thus the parents should ensure that they do not get wrongfully influenced by these habits.
With the life today being very ultra modern and everything revolved around instant gratification the challenges of parenting is getting double fold. Children with their various passion and also the innumerable activities sometimes go a little overboard and get addicted to some easier activities. Television addiction is one such activity which should be curbed.
Read Next: Hemp Milk: The Healthy Way Of Life