Asthma is a condition that makes breathing harder for millions of people across the globe. As a result asthmatics repetitively cough, wheeze and experience constricting sensations in the chest region which are characteristic to asthma attacks. At times the condition is also known as bronchial asthma. Children are also increasingly developing asthma.
Essential Oils for Asthma
Asthma arises due to the reversible narrowing of the minuscule air tubules (bronchiole) triggered by the diaphragm contracting or inflamed mucus membranes.
Asthma could be either allergy or infection triggered. Essential oils that are spasmolytic and decongestant in nature are the ones providing maximum respite.
However essential oils must not be used when asthmatic attacks are being experienced, but in-between episodes as chest rubs or inhalations. Some of the recommended essential oils for asthmatics include geranium, eucalyptus, pine, lavender.
For asthmatics feeling emotionally drained out due to the condition could be vastly benefited with sedation and relaxation inducing oils like:
- Roman chamomile
- Manuka (New Zealand tea tree)
Elucidated herewith are ideal ways of using essential oils for asthma relief.
- Merging fourteen droplets of Bergamot, twelve drops of R. Chamomile, ten drops of sandalwood and twelve drops of New Zealand tea tree that could be massaged on the trunk or back in-between asthmatic attacks.
- Doing inhalations of a quarter tsp. of eucalyptus oil added in three cups of scorching water when one feels congested.
- A great chest/back rub for inter-attack asthma respite could be made by combining one drop each of peppermint and marjoram, four drops of lavender, six drops of geranium along with an ounce of vegetable oil. Since asthma sufferers could have extreme sensitivity to scents hence doing a whiff-test initially for ensuring there are no detrimental reactions.
- Two drops of chamomile, eight drops of lavender and twenty drops of carrier oil could be merged together to make a rub that could be used on the back or trunk prior to bed times.
- The use of warm lavender baths, chest rubs and steam inhalations could even be beneficial and safe for kids when they start wheezing.
- Inhaling lavender oil infused in scorching water helps in opening air passages during asthma attacks. The essential oil swiftly lessens spasmodic sensations in the lungs thus halting or reducing the intensity of the attack.
- Frankincense/altas cedarwood help to calm and relax the body and mind while relieving spasmodic feelings.
- Vaporizers could be used by mixing four drops lavender with two drops altas cedarwood prior to sleep times and the analogous oils could be employed in baths. However one must bear in mind to lower the amounts to half in case of use on kids. Even merging three drops each of lavender and eucalyptus could be used as vaporizers in bedrooms for promoting sound slumber.
- For asthmatic kids in the ages of three to ten years old, the amounts are to be reduced by half of the just mentioned levels.
- Several research conducted in Germany have shown that chamomile essential oils aid in slackening allergic reaction which elicit asthmatic attack, by increasing cortisone creation that lessens inflamed condition in the lungs and eases respiration.