A decrease in hemoglobin content or the count of the blood cells is termed as anemia. The red blood cells carry oxygen to the cells through hemoglobin. Inadequate content of hemoglobin indicates that the tissues in your body have a low volume of oxygen. Excess production of red blood cells also results in the same. In case of pregnant women, anemia may be a bigger problem because it would mean that the baby is getting insufficient oxygen
Globally, anaemia affects 1.62 billion people (95%), which corresponds to 24.8% of the population. The highest prevalence is in preschool-age children (47.4%), and the lowest prevalence is in men (12.7%).
Mostly, anemia occurs due to the deficiency of iron but the other factors that can cause anemia are lack of vitamin B6, B12, copper or folic acid in the diet. Therefore, since this problem is mainly the outcome of lack of necessary nutrients in the diet, it is best not to rely on medicinal supplements for meeting these deficiencies. Home remedies for anemia are the best way to recuperate the deficiency of these essential nutrients in the diet.
Healthy Diet Foods To Cure Anemia
1.Beet Juice as a Treatment for Anemia
Beet juice is rich in vitamin B1, B2, B6 and C along with iron, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, sulphur, copper, iodine, protein and fats. It strengthens the body’s immune system and facilitates the production of red blood cells.
Treatment for Anemia using Beet Juice:
- Consume beet juice at least once every day.
2.Honey as a Cure for Anemia
Honey is rich in iron, manganese and copper. Iron is extremely beneficial in increasing the level of hemoglobin and copper facilitates in the absorption iron. This mineral content of honey makes it a useful treatment for anemia.
Remedy for Anemia using Honey:
- Have a mixture of honey, apple cider vinegar and lemon with an empty stomach in the morning.
3.Banana as a Remedy for Anemia
Bananas stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood. They are rich in not only in iron but also in calcium, both of which are essentially required for meeting iron needs of the body. Therefore, they are a powerful natural cure remedy for anemia.
Natural Cure for Anemia using Banana:
- Have one ripe banana with honey twice in a day.
4.Currants as a Home Treatment for Anemia
Currants have high content of iron and vitamin C which makes them strong enough to fight anemia. Since vitamin is essentially required for adequate absorption of iron, this fruit is a good treatment for anemia.
Home Remedy for Anemia using Currants:
- Soak 10 currants overnight and consume in the morning for about a month. This is an effective natural remedy for anemia.
5. Fenugreek as a Natural Cure for Anemia
Fenugreek leaves aid the process of blood formation. It is exceptionally beneficial for adolescent girls when the process of menstruation has just begun. These leaves also serve an important purpose of prevention from the occurrence of anemia. Fenugreek seeds are also rich in iron. Therefore, it is one of the best home remedies for anemia.
Treatment for Anemia using Fenugreek:
- Consume raw fenugreek leaves or consume a decoction made from its leaves.
6. Soya Bean as Natural Treatment for Anemia
Soya bean has high concentration of iron and protein and is therefore an easy remedy for anemia. It is best consumed in the form of milk to facilitate proper digestion. This is because anemic patients also suffer from the problem of indigestion.
Remedy for Anemia using Soya Bean:
Not only can soya bean be added in the diet in salads but soy products can be used in the form of soy milk or tofu.
7. Almonds as a Natural Remedy for Anemia
Almonds are rich in copper, vitamins and iron and together they facilitate the process of synthesis of hemoglobin. Therefore, almonds are a key source of dietary requirements for anemia.
Natural Cure for Amnesia using Almonds:
- Soak 8-10 almonds in water for about 4-5 hours and then grind them into a paste after removing their skin.
- Have this paste every morning for 3-4 months. This is one of the most common home remedies for anemia.
8. Sesame Seeds as a Natural treatment for Anemia
Sesame seeds have surprisingly high content of iron due to which they are a good treatment for anemia.
Remedy for Anemia using Sesame Seeds:
- Soak one teaspoon of sesame seeds in water, strain the water and grind the sesame seeds into a paste.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to the paste. Apply it.
9. Ash Gourd as a Natural treatment for Anemia
Ash gourd is a fruit vegetable is an effective natural cure for anemia. It can also be consumes in dried and powdered form.
Home Remedies for Anemia using Ash Gourd:
- Boil the pulp of ash gourd and add honey to it and consume.
- Have one teaspoon of ash gourd in dried form with buttermilk.
- You can also have the juice of ash gourd and have it the first thing in the morning.
Other Home Remedies for Anemia
- Drink a mixture of apple and tomato juice. Vitamin C is essentially required for the absorption of iron from the diet. Make sure you consume at least two citrus fruits every day.
- Anemia is also caused due to the deficiency of vitamin B12. Foods containing vitamin B12 should therefore be consumed like dairy products and it generally abundant in meats such as liver and kidney.
- Lettuce is also a rich source of iron and therefore serves the purpose of an effective home remedy for anemia. The body is easily able to absorb the iron content in it.
- Bathe with cold water twice in a day.
- Cook in iron pots as it facilitates in increase of iron content in the body.
- Sunbathing also stimulates the production of red blood cells. So, going out in the bath once in a while is also a good remedy for anemia.
- Avoid consuming tea and coffee as they hinder the absorption of iron.
- Have 1 teaspoon of dandelion extract or add dandelion greens in your salad bowl.
- Body massage also improves blood circulation.
- Wormwood has been effectively used as a natural treatment for anemia since ages.
- Onions are also beneficial in the natural treatment for anemia.
Diet for Anemia
- While processed foods like sugar, white bread and sweets deprive the body from iron, it is best to consume foods in their original form, whenever possible. This is one of the easiest home remedies for anemia.
- Being on an all fruit diet for 4-5 days is a healing treatment for anemia. Furthermore, you can continue to be on a milk and fruit diet for 15 days. Have the same amount of meals as you had during the all fruit diet. Gradually switch to grains, vegetables and nuts by adding each of them gradually to each meal.
- Celery is good source of iron to be taken in your diet. It can also be consumed along with carrot juice for stimulating the production of blood.